Preheat oven to 400 F degrees
1 medium size eggplant, peeled and cut in 1/2″ thick, lengthwise slices.
2 TBS olive oil
salt, pepper and dry oregano
1 can Don Pepino’s pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 jar roasted red peppers
1 can colossal pitted black olives, sliced
Spray a round pizza pan with Pam. Arrange the eggplant slices, overlapping, with the narrow ends in the center. Spray or brush the top of the slices with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Bake for 10 minutes. The eggplant should be fully cooked and soft. If not, return to the oven. Remove pan from oven.
Spread the sauce, cheese and toppings on the eggplant “crust”. Return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
Cool slightly and cut in wedges to serve.
Ice Cream In A Bag
-picnic fun with the kids!
• 1 pint heavy whipping cream
• 6 oz. coarsely pureed fruit, if using
• 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar or more taste
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup rock salt or ice cream salt
• 8 cups of ice
• 2 one gallon-sized plastic, resealable freezer bags
• Garnish: Rainbow & Chocolate Jimmies (Pennsylvania term for sprinkles:)
1. Combine whipping cream, strawberry purée, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a large, resealable, gallon-sized plastic bag. Seal bag and mix everything together until fully combined.
2. In a second, large plastic bag, place 6-8 cups ice and 1/2 cup rock salt. Insert ice cream mixture (still sealed in plastic bag) into the salty ice bag and seal. (Double bag if necessary, as bags can break at the seams.)
3. Shake bag for 15 minutes, or until ice cream mixture resembles soft serve.
4. Serve immediately, like soft serve by cutting one corner off the bottom of the bag and piping into cones; or place in freezer until ice cream sets to desired consistency. Don’t forget the jimmies!
& THE BLUE🇺🇸
Classic Blueberry Crisp
Ingredients for blueberry filling:
3 pints blueberries, washed
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Ingredients for crisp topping:
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup superfine sugar
2 cups AP flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick salted butter
Toss blueberries with lemon juice and granulated sugar in a shallow
unbuttered baking dish.
Put flour, sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. Work the slightly softened butter in with your hand by rubbing pieces of it lightly and quickly between your fingers, or cut in with a pastry blender just until the mixture is beginning to hold together and look crumbly.
Sprinkle mixture evenly covering the blueberries and bake at 375 degrees 30-45 minutes, or until crumb topping is deep golden brown and crispy. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.